At the Retreat of Atlanta, our women’s detox center provides the specialized help needed to recover from drug and alcohol addiction. We understand the unique needs women have when it comes to recovering from substance use disorders. In addition, we understand how gender-specific treatment can address them. We also provide multiple types of therapy that help provide an overall wellness program at our detox for women in Atlanta, Georgia to get back on their feet and leave addiction behind.
According to researchers at the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), men and women have different patterns when it comes to substance addiction. In addition, these differences include how men and women start using drugs and alcohol, how they disclose it, their access to quality care, the probability of seeking treatment, and their reasons for relapse.
NIDA also reports several other differences related to women and addiction. These include:
• Women often use smaller amounts of drugs for less time than men before addiction becomes a factor.
• Women are more likely to experience certain medical complications from drug addiction, such as those related to their hearts and blood vessels.
• Female hormones can make women more sensitive to how drugs affect them.
• Women who experience domestic violence increase their risk of abusing substances.
• Women can be more likely to require emergency room treatment for an overdose or die from it.
• Those who are or may be pregnant require specialized treatment for addiction.
These key differences to do with women and addiction make it important for a woman to choose providers like The Retreat of Atlanta, which have gender-specific programs like detox for women in Atlanta.
Gender-specific detox for women in Atlanta provides many benefits over non-gender-specific detox programs. Among these benefits are:
• Mental health issues: While many people struggling with addiction face co-existing mental health issues, women often face situations common to their gender. Fortunately, gender-specific detox for women helps them deal with mental health conditions that can directly affect their addiction.
• Learning coping skills: Drug and alcohol detox can help them learn valuable coping skills that help them further deal with problems that women face on a daily basis.
• Aftercare: Unfortunately, relapse is very common when it comes to addiction. Aftercare can help prevent that. Gender-specific detox for women offers aftercare support and relapse prevention.
• Communication: Patients can be more open and honest in therapy sessions when in a women’s detox center.
• Reduced sexual tension: Sexual tension can be a common distraction in therapy. Nevertheless, gender-specific detox reduces the likelihood of temptation to engage romantically or sexually with others.
• Support: Support systems are critical for preventing relapse in recovery. Our gender-specific detox for women provides focused support for the physical and psychological problems women face during addiction.
The length of time detox lasts depends on several factors. These include what substances are involved, how long the addiction has existed, and the amount of substances typically consumed. Moreover, however, the individual’s physical and mental health can also factor into the timeline. Any withdrawal symptoms that occur during detox and the severity of them also influence how long women’s detox lasts. In general, detox can range from 5 days to 2 weeks.
When women visit our women’s detox center, we provide specialized care from the moment they arrive until they complete the program. First, we start with performing an evaluation to help us understand their medical and psychological needs. Knowing their history with addiction helps us plan the right detox program for you and recommend the appropriate next step in treatment.
Detox medical professionals monitor individuals for signs of withdrawal symptoms and provide any necessary mediation to help reduce them. Furthermore, they can also help women process any difficult emotional reactions that may occur as they complete the detox process. In addition, we provide personalized therapy for women that help them achieve the best results possible. Because traditional rehabs can make women feel less comfortable opening up, our clients enjoy the ability to speak up in a women-only space. Therefore, this provides particularly important in group therapy sessions.
For women who have experienced physical or sexual abuse from men in the past, a woman’s detox center can provide them with the security they need. Furthermore, this type of treatment allows women to open up more easily and process abuse with the support of other women who have been through similar experiences.
During the detox process, our experts assess the needs of each woman and recommend the next steps in treatment to help them continue in recovery. After a detox treatment for women, it’s usually beneficial to participate in individual therapy or group therapy. As a result, these therapy sessions can help strengthen a person’s ability to handle post-treatment life challenges. Additionally, any needs related to mental health conditions, such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) should be addressed after detox to help solidify recovery. Outpatient programs, in fact, provide several options for helping women develop healthy coping skills that assist in staying sober long after detox ends.
When you’re ready to reclaim your life from drugs and alcohol, you owe it to yourself to do so in a supportive, open, and compassionate environment. Fortunately, our women’s detox center in Atlanta is a safe, caring, and professional place to begin your healing. Moreover, we ensure every woman’s experience with detox is safe, comfortable, and tailored to their specific needs. Visit the Retreat of Atlanta today to learn about our admissions process to help prepare you for your recovery.